These are my favourite makeup brushes for professional use.
I know there are makeup artists who love to work with their fingers. When it comes to skin, I really like that too but when it comes to eyes, I mostly use my makeup brushes. Not only for eyes, but also to conceal, powder,… well, let me just show you my favourite brushes and explain you why I’m so fond of them.
Foundation: I’m actually really old-school, I like a sponge. However, on set I don’t use it as I tend to moist my sponge and use it in combination with a liquid foundation. Let’s be honest, I would have to use hundreds of beautyblenders and that would just be too expensive. As you know, when I’m shooting, I mostly grab my Bobbi Brown BBU palette and as it contains almost all the Foundation Stick colours, it’s easier to apply them with a brush. In my case two brushes.
- Bobbi Brown foundation brush: to apply the foundation and already blend it out
- Mud vegan buff brush: do really buff the foundation into the skin for a flawless result
Concealer: For me only one does the trick, in combination with my pinky finger.
- Real Techniques concealer brush: ideal for liquid or cream concealers. Love it!
Powder: To be honest I don’t really care which brand my powder brush is. As long as it doesn’t loose bristles. Lately I see myself using a fan brush more and more. It gives a less powdery effect but when it comes to men, I tend to use a powder puff and than a powder brush to remove excess powder.
Eyes: So many eyeshadow brushes in my kit! A difficult task to pick my favourite ones so I’m going for the ones I use the most.
- M.A.C 239SH Eye Shader Brush: to apply the eyeshadow
- Zoeva 221 Luxe Soft Crease: for blending
- Louise Young Y16 – Eyeshadow Sable 3: an absolute favourite! I own this brush now about 6 years and I use it so often, it’s a holy grail brush to me!
Lips: Since last year I have a new favourite:
- Cassie Lomas lip brush Sukie. Nice to know: she gave all her brushes names from family and friends.
Blush: Many times I use my fingers as I love to work with cream blush. However I use the following two brushes often too:
- Real Techniques Expert Face brush: to blend in cream blush
- Bobbi Brown blush brush or M.A.C 168S Larged Angled Controur brush: for powder blush
- The Body Shop Vegan brushes for cream and powders
Contouring & highlighting:
- Cassie Lomas Ki-Ki Fan brush: for a subtile highlight and a soft contouring
Of course I own many other brushes which I like, but these are the ones that I currently use the most.
No tools, no makeup,