Primers. What they do, when to use them and which are my favourites.
When you paint the walls in your house it’s likely that you’ll use a primer to make sure the paint will stick well to the wall and it will give enough coverage. Well, a face primer does exactly the same.
The face primer finds its roots in the theater, where it was used to protect the skin of artists who had heavy makeup on all the time. Nowadays it is a mainstream product and not only does it make your makeup last for a (very) long time, it can fill pores, reduces fine lines, regulates dry and oily skin, helps in color correction, and covers blemishes and dark spots. Some of them also have SPF and/or temporary skin plumpers. The latest primers contain ingredients to make the skin look healthier and more radiant.
A face primer is like photoshop in a bottle, the soft version. It’s a product that’s to be used after cleansing and moisturising the skin, before applying your base, whether it’s a foundation or a tinted moisturizer. You could even use it alone, in case you want to smooth out your skin a little but don’t feel like wearing any other base makeup. Some primers can be used as a touch-up during the day/night. Of course a face primer contains other ingredients. Most makeup primers are formulated with silicone-based polymers, like dimethicone, because of their ultra-smoothing effects, it works a bit like photoshop in a bottle. However, if you suffer from severe skin or sensitive skin I would recommend you to do a test on your inner arm, to see if you react to these ingredients.
There are many, many face primers on the market. To help you out a little I will show you my favourite ones, from budget friendly to high-end.
Givenchy Matte & Blur Primer Stick * N°7 Airbrush Away * Becca Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- Givenchy Matte & Blur Primer Stick -€36.50 Ici Paris exclusive- is a mattifying primer suitable for every skintone and also perfect for an instant touch-up. This stick mattifies complexion, blurs imperfections, and refines the appearance of skin texture. Personally, I use it for touch-ups, on top of my foundation during they day, when my skin starts to shine.
- N°7 Airbrush Away -£16.50 Boots- is part of my pro-kit for many years now. Every time I’m in London -it’s for sale at Boots- I buy a few, as N°7 often offers a 2+1 deal it’s too hard to resist! Pores and fine lines appear to disappear and wrinkles are put in to soft focus leaving your skin perfectly smooth and even all day. This primer contains hyaluronic acid moisture locking spheres to help soften the appearance of fine lines and smooth the skin.
- Becca Ever Matte Preless Priming Perfector -$38 Sephora- is probably the strongest primer I own. It has quite a thick and hard texture but if you have oily skin this is the one primer you need! This product eliminates excess oil for long-lasting matte skin. The formula is sweat- and humidity-resistant and free of silicone, oil, alcohol, and fragrance, I couldn’t ask for more! Big favourite for oily skin and men!
Clarins SOS Primers
The Clarins SOS Primers -€31.50 Ici Paris or Planet Parfum- are a new addition to my pro-kit. These do more than smooth your skin before applying foundation, the Clarins SOS Primers offer a lot of skincare benefits at the same time. They hydrate the skin for up 24 hours and protect the skin from environmental aggressors with the Clarins anti-pollution complex and balance uneven skin tone and texture. Whether your skin suffers from redness, lacks radiance or looks tired, you will find the perfect solution! Clarins offers 6 different options: radiance with 00 Universal Light – anti fatigue with 01 Rose -diffuse imperfections with 02 Peach – diminish dark spots with 03 Coral -reduce redness with 04 Green – brightening with 05 Lavender.
Too Faced Hangover Primer * Guerlain Météorites Base * Clarins SOS Primer Universal
- Too Faced Hangover Primer -$32 Sephora- is a replenishing face primer that hydrates, smoothes, and brightens skin for a dewy, healthy looking finish. All things I love to see and exactly the reason this primer is in my beauty bag for personal use! This primer doesn’t contain parabens, sulfates nor phthalates and is silicone-free. I’m a big fan!
- Guerlain Météorites Base – 61.50 € -Ici Paris or Planet Parfum- Primer Perfection Pearls smooths and color-corrects your skin tone for a radiant complexion. It’s formulated with Guerlain’s signature Stardust Technology: a unique complex encapsulating a celestial powder that transforms light invisible to the naked eye into visible and soft-focus perfecting light to blur imperfections and provide exceptional radiance. I love this primer on more life experienced skin!
Smashbox Photo Finish Primers: Primer Water * Pore Minimizing Primer * Photo Finish Original Primer
The Smashbox Anti-Shine Primer used to be my always go-to primer when I have to makeup men, or women with really oily skin. It was the absolute perfect anti-shine primer, and I write ‘was’ as they discontinued this must-have. Gutted as I was, I didn’t even want to try the suggested replacement Photo Finish Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Primer as no primer could ever replace my favourite. As time heals all wounds I got over my loss, moved on and tried the purple primer, it was as good as the other one. Comes to show you..
- Photo Finish Primer Water : -€33,50 Ici Paris- hydrates, preps, sets, and refreshes makeup.
- Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Primer: -€37 Ici Paris- reduces the look of pores, blurs flaws and controls oil for up to eight hours.
- Original Photo Finish Primer: -€33,50 Ici Paris- smooths skin, blurs flaws, helps makeup last.
Prep & prime,